Sunday, February 2, 2014

Is Pink a Girl Color? And Other Questions We Should Quit Asking

"We want kids to read not just for the act of reading, but because we believe books can play a profound role in a kid's life and self-conception and relationship with the world."  Anne Ursu, On Gender and Boys Read Panels 

This post, partially written, has been sitting in my drafts for awhile now, but recently I was reminded of two posts that made me want to come back to my computer.  The first was a Slice of Life post written by Amy Rudd about gender and toys:  Voice of the Toys.  Then Stephanie Shouldis and Katherine Sokolowski both shared this article by Anne Ursu at Terrible Trivium:  On Gender and Boys Read Panels in which she wonders why a recent panel discussing boy readers has to include only male authors:



More often than I wish, it seems, I am stumbling upon reading posts and books about supporting boys and girls in different ways:  "Easy Readers for Girls," "Create Boy-Friendly Classrooms," and "Books for Boys:  Reluctant Readers Grades 1-2."  I'm not here to argue that there might or might not be differences, but I am here to ask if we are working as educators to take down those walls or if we are helping to build them higher.  Couldn't some of those differences be created by messages sent through media, social opportunities, the arrangement of toy store aisles, and even our classrooms? 

The Problem with Hidden Messages
In our house, my husband is by far the biggest reader.  Our children grew up watching him sit in a chair for hours with a book in his hand.  I often ask him what he thinks of the "boy as a reluctant reader" concept.  I consider it insulting to a man I've seen read book after book after book in a variety of topics and genres.  He's not just sitting with his Sports Illustrated Magazine or reading books by John Grisham.  He reads everything.  

I'm actually the person who has worked to build a life as a reader.  As a young child I was a reader, but got lost somewhere in those middle school years.  As a high schooler I remember being forced to finish books I found neither interesting or compelling --- and honestly probably far above where I was as a reader.  Thankfully since then, I've found books I love and friends who motivate me and my reading life continues to grow.  In my opinion, we are the actual reverse of the stereotypes.  I too find the stereotypes insulting.  

Where to Begin
My classroom is full of both girls and boys.  I would say the number of book crazy friends in my classroom is equal in gender as is the number of boys and girls trying to find a place in the world of reading.  I work hard to avoid the boy vs. girl stereotypes of reading in my classroom.  It isn't always easy.  Marketers work hard to keep these stereotypes alive and well.   Bookfairs roll into our schools full of tables of books specifically screaming stereotypical covers of "boy books" or "girl books."  Trips to the bookstore can easily yield mass produced titles with covers that are intended to bring some readers and exclude others.  

Here are a few ways I try to focus on readers, and not gender, in my classroom:
Baskets readers love:  Creating baskets of books for all readers.  I have topic baskets to interest all readers such as books about friends, pets, school, and animals.  We also have baskets from topics of study in our classroom including maps, personal narratives, and animals in the winter.  There are also baskets the students have created such as a brave basket, an art basket, and a problem basket.  

Consider Characters:  Honestly, I love books in which students really have to work to figure out if the character is a boy or a girl.  For some reason they feel they have to figure it out.  However, I like stories in which it really doesn't matter.   The Hello Goodbye Window is the perfect example of this.  Thankfully, for primary readers, animal characters can often take gender out of the equation.  My students love Marley, Little Hoot, The Pigeon, Biscuit.  

Universal Problems:  Books with problems all readers can relate to in their lives such as books about problems with friends like Matthew and Tilly, Yoko, and Ladybug Girl and Bumble Bee Boy.  

I'm still considering this topic and know I've only skimmed the surface here, but I hope you'll share your thinking and grow the conversation.  

What are your suggestions for overcoming these gender stereotypes for the readers in our classroom?  How do we help to send a gender equal message?  How do we send a message that all readers matter?  

A Few More Gender Articles of Interest









7 comments:

  1. It seems like some of this started with the studies coming out a few years ago about boys NOT reading, so the big push was on-what do they like, who can write for them, etc., then the Guys Read stuff. Since I teach gifted kids, and until I moved from the classroom, middle school aged, I found that nearly all were avid readers, & read so many, many genres! I hate the gender stereotyping-pink princess everything! My daughter fights it with the almost 5 year old & 2 1/2 year old (who already wants tutus). And they don't watch tv, but do go to a pre-school. With the older kids, I urged them to consider all viewpoints in books, loving the way that authors wrote about girls & boys, & then critiquing the ideas. I've noticed a decidedly "pink" aisle where all the dolls & Barbie's & Disney things are too. Do you think publishers are going by what sells well, so fewer books with girls doing less stereotypical things? Enough said, I guess, Cathy, but best wishes in your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I know exactly what you mean. I think many of us read those same studies. Lately, I am wondering if saying boys like to read this or girls like to read this limits readers. Ideally I think we all want those avid readers who read across genres that you discuss. Thanks for so thoughtfully considering this topic.

      Cathy

      Delete
  2. Your post is very interesting. I think we need to have more conversations about reading and gender. I don't have all of the answers myself, but I try hard to NOT consider a book for a boy or a girl-and for that matter-toys or movies. If a book is good it will have many fans of both genders. Look at Baby Mouse. Pink, pink and more pink - but loved equally by females and males. My feeling is adults (parents and teachers) often create the stereotypes by telling students what kind of books a boy or girl might like. I don't think adults do it on purpose, but out of ignorance. During our recent Mock Caldecott, a colleague, continually categorized each book as ones that boys like and ones that girls like. It drove me crazy! I hope your post creates some good thoughtful dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra,
      You said, "If a book is good it will have many fans of both genders. Look at Baby Mouse. Pink, pink and more pink - but loved equally by females and males." This seems a good measure of a book. Does it appeal to a wide audience? I hope we'll continue this conversation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Cathy

      Delete
  3. Once again, you push my thinking. I actually have more avid readers who are boys this year than girls. Like your husband, they can't wait to read whatever book interests them at the time -- in our class, frequently they know new titles and series before I do. I also have many girls who are in "girly" series - OMG and Cupcake Diaries, to name two. Thought-provoking piece that will make me think about how I recommend books to all students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to consider. I wondered if others had noticed and decided to post to see what everyone thought about the topic. Thanks for commenting.
      Cathy

      Delete
  4. I have always tried to recommend books regardless of gender, but found that many boys would wrinkle their noses if the book had a girl on the cover. Since middle school students do divide so much on gender, I have a variety of ways to encourage all of my students to read more widely.

    ReplyDelete